Billings County, ND - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Hello, me again. Someone has probably already told me this but I can not find it. How do I find out who is listed as owner on township 141, range 99, section 19. I have deed from the court when my mother passed away transferring ownership to heirs but now the oil company Continental is stating the deed is incorrect and my mother did not own that section 19.

how much does it generally cost to have a complete title or deed search. None of my family lives in ND

What is Bullinger Trust?

Hello I received a lease ratification that states in it "waives all rights to dower and homestead" what does that mean? I have called Empire and Oxy to ask numerous times and no response.

another question, received lease extension 3-19-14 then a recent letter stating the lease would not be extended because it was not signed when the well was spud on 3-17-14. We did not even get it until 3-19-14. now what?.

Janine, it's going to be important to know if your lease had expired before operations to drill the well commenced and what your lease considered "continuing operations" that would extend the lease beyong the primary term and the "grace period" usually 180 days in which operations must cease, if operations had already begun, to drill a well. Take it slow, take your time and don't sign anything until you know more. Ask more questions and provide more information to get better answers.

What was the date of the lease expiration for which the operator wants you to sign the ratification?

How long is the continuing operations grace period? It should sound something like, if no more than 180 days pass between the drilling and abandonment of one well and the commencement of a new well or the reworking of a well to obtain production then this lease will be held in full force and effect. Or words to that effect.

Don't sign anything until you know more.

I believe the odds are good that the operator sent you the lease as an insurance policy that they didn't need but then again, I don't know why they would send you a ratification if they had a valid lease and it makes me suspicious.

They want you to give up the rights of dower and homestead? To me that means that they are afraid that if you sold or gave away the minerals, that they would not have a valid lease and the new owners might have a well, or wells free of all costs and receive 100% of production. This would also lead me to have some doubt about the validity of the lease they are operating under.

Don't sign anything until you know more. It sometimes takes years to work out the implications but it could be a difference of 4 times the money.

If you go ahead and sign something, there is no gurantee that you will be paid without trouble anyway. Many people have been told that they need to probate an estate to receive royalties and when the have completed the probate and ask where is their money they have been told they have to complete yet another probate. This after more than a years time and the expenditure of thousands of dollars. You need to learn exactly what you need to do before you act. 6 months to find out what you need to do is very little time in the process.