Advice on inherited Mineral Rights

I inherited some mineral rights from my father after he passed away that are currently paying royalties. I have no idea how to find more information about my mineral rights such as how many acres how much the area is worth or really anything. My question is how I would go about finding the answers to these questions. I also know i have more mineral rights in Oklahoma but I don’t know anything about that either since I had almost no contact with my father since I was very young. Any advice would be appreciated.


Go to the Midland County CAD here: Property Valuation

Type in your name starting with your last and it should come up. I just searched your name real quick and had several results. This will give you an idea of what the size of your interests are.

Thank you for that. After searching I found several properties in my father’s as well as my grandfather’s name (he is deceased as well). What should be done about those properties?

I have a couple suggestions.

One is to join NARO and go to one of their conferences for mineral owners. ( That will give you a better understanding of everything.

Second is to find an experienced landman to review title and explain what you own. It will cost you a small chunk of change, but maybe if you have siblings or other co-owners all of you could split the cost. Knowing exactly what you own is very important. Unfortunately, I do not have a recommendation on how to find a good landman. Maybe another poster can help you with that.

NARO on the forum:

Victor - I’d recommend contacting a local oil and gas attorney and having them write up an Affidavit of Heirship, or something of that nature, that you can file with the county.


I would start by notifying each of the operators in writing of your ownership or right to said interest. They will ask for Probates documents so I would go ahead and get that in order. Also, minerals are only taxed if producing and therefore only show up on the appraisal list if their is reported production on the associated property. Given that your grandfather is listed on several properties I would be willing to bet they’re (the operator) holding his share of revenue (which you are entitled to) in suspense. Long story short, you may have some back pay from royalties waiting on you.

If you have properties in Oklahoma, a good place to start is Not all of the counties are listed there, but most are. Search under his name. You will also need to get legal documents in order to claim them in OK. Search the OK Treasurer’s site for unclaimed funds. Also the state in which he lived. Perhaps Delaware as well since many companies are domiciled there.

You have two main options.

  1. Hold onto the rights and get yourself “in pay” on the existing production. Often times the operator will tell you what they will require to get the royalties put into your name. Then, you may or may not need a landman and/or attorney to bring ownership up to date, it just depends on the complexity.

  2. Sell the rights, and the buyer will tell you how they want the title cured so the minerals are legally transferred into your name. The buyer will often carry all of the costs necessary to do so.

It is possible to do name searches in most Oklahoma Counties.

Richard Winblad

Victor, did you figure out what you needed?

Many operators require an “Affadavit of Heirship”. If you are lucky you can be instated into “pay status” with a new “Division Order” (use the latest NADOA form on NARO).

Above advice is sound. So if not as easy as I mentioned above, run as much of a title search as you can in each county. Cross reference with names accurately spelled, misspelled, property description and variations of property description (ex. Township - 3 -South might be T3S or T-3-S). Search for probate records whereever your father and grandfather died and in county and in the counties where each property is. Then take what you have to a landman as explained above. Worst case is you may need to have title cures performed with an attorney, possible title opinion (I have one in process) to achieve a Perfected Title.