Account in Suspense- Competing Title

Misty_B,

Did you read my other comment? It was much longer. I did not even try as hard as you did, and now a portion of my family was possibly swindled. I am a Realtor in California. Do you know how large your “Block” is? Many counties have public websites with cross reference of APN # (Assessor’s Parcel Number) the way the tax collector can identify individual parcels for taxation purposes - the owner of record then will receive an annual property tax assessment by snail mail. So, you may only be the heir of the mineral rights below that “block” but if you can find a GIS map (Geographic Information System) on-line, you might at least be able to determine the size of the “block”. In California, The County has what are called Map Books and each lot and block are drawn as recorded. Some areas have smaller parcels within a block, while others are much larger. In the City, a common parcel could be 25 feet by 100’ or 2,500 square feet. With zero lot lines (like in San Francisco) they are allowed to build buildings that butt up next to one another, and therefore no side yards, only front and back yards. However, in the suburbs, a common lot size could be 50 X100, and that is a lot that could accommodate a 2,000 sq.ft house with a yard surrounding it, albeit maybe only 5 foot Setback from the side property line. BUT, if you go further out to the unincorporated areas of the county, a single parcel could be forty acres of farmland. In the city, there could be 40 2,500 SF parcels to one Block, and 30 or more blocks per map book. My point being that a standard tract that has been subdivided by some developer to build houses on, one parcel # could encompass more Square feet of land than another.
Some Counties here in CA, have GIS mapping on their website that would show the outlines of parcels overlaid on top of a satellite image of the area. (A good example would be on Zillow.com, where you could look at a birds-eye satellite view of a neighborhood showing the lot lines overlaid on the neighborhood, to see how big their yards (lots) are. Or you can see features on other areas such as seismic zones, Forested lands, water features (oceans rivers, lakes) Or even district boundaries for Municipal Services such as Sanitary Districts, or County Park lands. Anyway, my point is, a “block” is a variable size and just a term on an Assessor’s parcel map. If you google ”How many square feet are in an acre” you will discover the same answer “43,560”, because an acre is an established measurement. However if you google “How many square feet are in a city block” you will come up with a calculator which has variables like East Coast US, Southwest, Midwest : Convert square foot to square city block % - Conversion of Measurement Units …Because there is no standard answer. Additionally, some western lands were measured as Townships. Townships are a measured grid of Sections of approximately 1 square mile (1 mile x 1 mile) or 1 mile = 5,380 feet per side. Townships are approximately 6 miles on each side. Normal Townships have 36 Sections (1 acre x 1 acre). Each Section contains 640 acres. These could be further sized into smaller designations 40 acres each 4 x 40 = 160 acres, or 10 acres (16 x10 acres =160 acres) or one larger 1 X 160 acres. (1/4 of a section). And, likewise even combinations of 2.5 acres, 5 acres, 80 acres,10 acres, 7&1/2 acres, 1&1/2 acres or 5/8th of an acre all could be combined to fit within the 160 acre =1/4 Section formula. My suggestion is to locate the Township, determine the County and then see if that Vounty has some

Sorry, my last sentence cut off and apparent there is no edit button. I was going to suggest you find your “Block” via a County GIS mapping site (if they have one) to get a Spence if how large the block size is, that your deeded mineral rights might be underneath. In my case it turned out to be 160 acres, but that information was not conveyed to me before I sold my share. My advice, continue to do your due diligence because, it might help to know if your “block” is large as in acres (as in farmland) or small as in “feet” such as a a residential sized “block”. Once again, good luck!

Misty, So many mineral disputes are miniscule and thus it’s time we can apply, smartly, and not spending funds on landmen or hiring title attorneys to work through things. You do have another free source available to you on this that may help you a great deal (or may not) . The family that approached you to “negotiate” may have done some title work to understand, and possibly provide to you, what exactly is in dispute. I would request the likely limited number of documents, that caused the dispute to arise in the first place. They may provide them to you to see what has occured and also, what they propose to do to “cure” the title situation, and why. It may very well be that prior documents, way back in the chain of title, were prepared poorly, interpretive, or are just flat out inadequate to properly transfer what was intended to be transferred/conveyed. This situation is not too unusual to occur (coming from a landman that has performed a few title reports in the past and seen these type issues). So, possibly think about contacting them and request specific documentation on what happened to mess this up (ie: which documents were recorded in the county that caused this discrepancy to arise in the first place.) Obviously, the oil company spotted a discrepancy, and in these times it’s difficult to get the oil company to respond/cooperate. Keep trying to contact the oil company but contacting the family wanting to negotiate is not a bad idea because you may find out, directly from them, what they see is the problem too. Even in good times it’s hard to get the oil companies to assist. Wes

I noticed you are from Iowa and I was raised there so good luck tracking down your heritage. If you are a Cyclone fan, I will not hold that against you. You have stated several times it is not about the money, but your legacy. You may want to consider hiring an oil and gas attorney in the area in which the minerals are located on a limited engagement basis for him or her to write two letters to try and obtain whatever information relates to the issue, the first letter would be to the Kerr family, and the second letter would be to the company taking production. After that is done, if there is a response, you can make an informed decision on how to proceed. This arrangement allows attorney to be paid for time spent and your control your front end investigative cost.

Both CountyRecords.com and CourthouseDirect.com have the Real Property Records for LaSalle County back to Sovereignty.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.