Reeves county heat map

Someone had the ingenious idea of filming an infrared heat map from a satellite…to record the heat signatures of flaring natural gas and determine from those heat signatures where the ‘hottest’ Exploration and Production sites were in the county with the most ongoing activity. Check out this site:

http://www.mineralholders.com/texas/reeves-county

The darkest red area southeast of Tx State Hwy 17 and east of FM2448 is land owned by Ivan Hurd where Primexx has drilled 8 horizontal wells so far and has 4 more drilling today, plus they have their own saltwater disposal well (the Baptist) in the acreage they are developing. They are devloping another area west of Tx Hwy 17 on both sides of county road 330 and another saltwater disposal well for the produced water of their wells in that area.

Cimarex, Centennial, Oxy, Henry Oil, Noble-Permian, Diamondback, Colgate, and many others are moving into the area around me along Hwy 17 between Verhalen and Saragosa in Reeves county…soon to make this area the ‘hottest’ in this part of the Delaware basin.

, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses::rofl::ribbon::heart:

3 Likes

Wow! Great site, Lawrence!

2 Likes

I second that wow, Lawrence! Would be even better if someone could overlay it over a map with the blocks and sections.

2 Likes

Pretty slick integration of the appraisal district data.

3 Likes

Click on “Map” rather than “Satellite” in the upper left hand corner. The “Map” appears to have some sort of squares on it, might be Railroad Sections - I’ll have to compare it to something like DrillingInfo’s maps and see.

Either way, you’d think that they could add the Surveys layer quite simply. Think I’ll touch bases with them and ask about that.

2 Likes

The County Roads coming off Tx Hwy 17 on both sides are mostly Section Line Roads because that whole area was cotton farm fields up until all the farms went bust in the early 1970s. The section I’m in, Block 13 Section 182…is bounded on the north side and the east side by County road 330, on the south side by Ranch Road 3334, and the west side by Tx Hwy 17.

Section 183 is where Verhalen is situated in between CR330 and CR331 with Tx Hwy 17 on the west side.

It would certainly be nice if the satellite map could integrate all the overlays and have blocks and sections clearly marked. Would make finding an out of state surface/mineral owner’s land much easier for people like me who try to assist them.

, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses::rofl::ribbon::heart:

1 Like

I wish they had something like this in Carlsbad, NM. great info

Maybe there was sarcasm here but I just want to point out that this is not an infrared heat map.

1 Like

New Mexico does not tax producing minerals. They don’t have any Appraisal Rolls to build a map like this with.

1 Like

Notice the geothermal gradient contours extend up to the Carlsbad, N.Mex area. Mapping brine water geothermal temperature gradients will produce a map of where the cracks to the hot mantle of the Earth are located and the avenues by which Abiotic oil produced by the hot mantle cooking source rock deep in the Earth channels to the stacked shale plays, recharging the reservoirs over many years.

Here’s a discussion of the Russian abiotic oil source theory that is fast proving correct:

So, if we could live long enough, we would see the played out oilfields of the Permian basin recharge.

ol’Lawrence in Verhalen, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses::rofl::heart:

We shall see. One possible element of the formation of oil and petroleum, the subduction of methane deposits of the ocean floor under and into the earth’s crust at the tectonic plate boundaries. Much yet to learn, to discover, to interpret.

Lynn…especially along the Gulf of Mexico coast with the USA and the East Coast of the USA we have huge deposits of Methane Hydrates…some liken them to ice, but that’s not how they are formed. It’s methane gas compressed and held under tremendous pressure by the sand of the bottom of the sea where it becomes a semi-solid crystalline structure. IF the pressure on the methane hydrate suddenly lessens…it will suddenly sublime…go from a solid to a gas nearly instantaneously with possible devastating consequences.
It does not migrate down along fissures in the ocean floor to thin hot areas of the separation of the plastic mantle rock to the crust, but a well drilled down vertically or horizontally into a pocket of methane hydrates will trigger massive sublimation of the hydrates and blow the drill string out of the hole…where the drill pipe impacting the substructure and derrick of the rig sets off sparks that ignite the methane gas. That’s what happened on that well in the Gulf 20 years ago that killed all those people, burned for a long time until it could be squeezed off by sea floor control valves. Made quite an ecological mess, too.
I’ve drilled into methane hydrates in the western Permian basin at quite shallow depths…2000 to 2600 feet in the old ‘played out’ Yates gas formation. You have to keep the accumulator fully charged on the blowout preventer so you can hit the snap close valve and run like hell in that case upwind of the well. But, it IS controllable IF you take the right precautions and watch your indicator tattletales.
That’s the difference between a real driller and a wannabe. The real driller is always alert and protecting the lives of his men. The men, in turn protect their driller by spelling him on the operator stand when he gets too tired and needs a break. Usually the derrick hand will spell the driller, but sometimes it’s the motorman.
But, anyway, methane hydrates can occur along the coast, out in the middle of the GOM, or in the stacked shale play formations of the interior of the USA. I’ve never known of methane hydrates occurring in the interior of the USA along with high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide…but it IS possible and a massive sublimation would spread deadly concentrations of H2S hydrogen sulfide gas much faster than you can run away upwind. And H2S collects in low spots because it is heavier than air…making it very dangerous in hilly terrain.

Hope that helps some explaining methane hydrates. By the way, Jeff Bezos’ Space X rocket engines use liquid oxygen to burn liquified Methane…part of the NGLs (natural gas liquids) from the gas wells of the Permian and Delaware basins.

Ol’ Lawrence in Verhalen, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses::rofl::rainbow::heart:

1 Like

this heat map has nothing to do with temperature. The “hotter” a section, the more properties are in it.

I tried to explain this above but it was lost on the other posters I guess. Some who post in a lot of these threads know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know that they really don’t understand what they are talking about.

Charles, Let me know what you find on the hot zones. And what in the world is a hot zone. Lol Louise

Hi Louise!

In a “Heat Map” the greater the activity (whatever kind), the deeper the color and “Hotter” the area. What this one appears to show is the number of mineral owners paying taxes. The deeper the color, the more mineral owners.

I suppose if they added the total taxes being appraised on all the existing wells, they could create a map showing where the most valuable properties are located, but that would take using latitude and longitudes to locate each of the wells on a map.

Such a map, however, would inherently be a couple of years behind the realities on the ground because it takes the County about 18 months to set up the Tax Rolls for each completed well…

By the way, I emailed the company about the Survey lines. They wrote back that they were working on that part and should have it completed soon.

Hope this helps -

1 Like

That ‘Heat Map’ is a misnomer…obfuscating the real data derivable from the map.

Try THIS article and map instead: Wheres Does the Permian Natural Gas Flaring Occur?

The satellite thermal images of flares in Reeves county and the entire Permian and Delaware basins is dynamic…constantly changing…so the latest published satellite thermal image is over 1 month old and does not reflect today’s activity. But, you can visually see the trends and where there is greater emphasis on drilling.

, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses::rofl:

2 Likes

The words “heat map” are used quite extensively in current digital mapping.
If you take it literally for actual “heat” , it could mean geothermal heat or flaring heat, BTU value, etc.

But most scouting folks use the term to describe whatever variable that they are mapping. " Heat" refers to the amount of the count of the attribute. It could be Leases in the last 90 days, natural gas flaring, rigs active, amount of permits in the last 90 days, pooling orders in the last 180 days or virtually anything. In general, the color bar can also change, but lots use the reds for the higher numbers and the blues for the lower numbers. It is a good visual display for activity.

1 Like

Agreed, and I too have found the website mineralholders.com extremely useful and user-friendly… I’ve also found a website called ShaleXP.Com that combines mineral owner information with production information throughout the United States.

1 Like