Mineral Rights Forum

America’s conversation place for mineral owners

My mother inherited several properties throughout southern Oklahoma when her mother passed away in 2004 (probate cleared in 2007).   Just this past year (2017) the interest in a Grady county Oklahoma property was sold and now I (her son) am left with doing their taxes! 

What is involved (and what will it cost) to get a fair market value of the interest in order to determine the gain on the sale?



Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used a certified mineral manager a few years back. Post this in the Grady County Forum

Hi Ron. I know someone that does oil and gas evaluations in Oklahoma and can give you a FMV for your mineral estate. They charge about as much as a home appraisal would cost. Send me a personal message if you would like their contact info. 

Was there a valuation done for the probate of the inventory?  That would be your basis.  Since you are asking, there must not have been, so you can use an appraiser or you can use the "fmv" of the taxing authority, which might be much less than the actual fmv.  Depends on how much the gain is to decide whether or not an appraisal is needed.


© 2018   Created by Kenny DuBose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service